Re: My contribution (only the Knode issue)

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 19:08 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
> On 03/06/2010 06:45 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >
> > A car would work without a differential in much the same way a wagon or
> > cart would.  However, when cornering the tires would need to rotate at
> > different speeds.  This would tend to cause slipping on one side and
> > dragging on the other and lead to control problems as well as damage to
> > the tires.
> >
> A better fix would be to only drive one wheel. Having a way to lock
> in the second wheel would be useful, but not necessary. My snow
> blower is set up that way - a live axle, and only one wheel driving,
> unless you manually engage the lock on the second wheel so they both
> drive.
----
the whole concept that one can bring relevance to Marcel's ranting by
using a metaphor is comical by itself when in reality, Marcel couldn't
hit the broad side of a barn from 3 feet.

Gnome is the default DM for what appears to be a reason - limited
configuration options for the users and KDE requires extra effort to
install and operate and generally assumes some amount of knowledge of a
computer UI. Most of these segmented panels mimic that used in Microsoft
Outlook where you have the containers on the left, the list of items on
the top right and a 'preview' of the individually selected item on the
bottom right. I can appreciate that some users have little intuition on
how to use this right away but I can also appreciate that generally, KDE
projects don't feel the need to dumb down their interface for everyone
just because some lack the experience or intuition on using it.

as for the tires, anyone who say 'My Cousin Vinny' would know that it
was the 63 Pontiac Tempest...

Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had
positraction. You can't make those marks without posi-traction, which
was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is posi-traction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power
equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular
differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama
knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does
nothing.
[the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]
Vinny Gambini: Is that it?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes
up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the
'64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on
the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But
that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car
had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only
two other cars made in America that had posi-traction, and independent
rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the
Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The
other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and
wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.

Craig

believed to be clean.