Re: Changing the DHCP address of a machine on my Local LAN

On 03/06/2010 05:01 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 15:22 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
>> Check the configuration of the router. You can also try to reset the
>> router. Outside of giving the machine a static IP address, there is
>> not much you can do on the machine. This is NOT a problem with the
>> Linux machine - it is a router problem.
>>
>> If you want to know why this is a router problem, find some good
>> documentation on how DHCP works. The machine making the request
>> responds to the first DHCP server that replies...
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> I agree with your analysis of the problem. But that leaves us with the
> following mystery.. There are 4 machines on the LAN. Why does only the
> one get a response from the providers DHCP server first? Also why this
> only occurred this morning after using the routers DHCP server for 6
> months?

Well, if your router is configured to be the dhcp server, then it
should not allow dhcp traffic to reacher the WAN side.

A couple of things to check - did the lease expire on the machine
you are having the trouble with? It is possible that the other
machines had an unexpired lease for their dhcp address, and asked
for the same IP address. I run into this when I forget to tell
dhclient to release the IP address when making changes to the fixed
IP address list on the router.

Did the problem machine start using a protocol like PPoE to connect,
bypassing the addressing router all together?

Mikkel