Re: What's your fave--Gnome or KDE

On Saturday 06 March 2010 03:50:04 pm Temlakos wrote:
> In looking over the reviews of Fedora 12, I was shocked that a big piece
> of the possible Fedora 12 experience is missing: KDE.

KDE is not missing in Fedora (and never has been). It's just that Gnome is the
default DE when you install Fedora and don't customize anything.

> Sure, I had a learning curve--like how to use the new Desktop Folder as
> a widget, and how the wallpaper actually shows through it wherever you
> need to place it. And how to use Desktop Activities, and the K App
> Launcher. But these seem vastly superior to Gnome.

Sure. Since version 4, KDE has been completely redesigned and rewritten. It is
now a much more powerful DE than KDE3 or Gnome. Just ask a Gnome user to
configure the screen so that he can see icons from two different directories
simultaneously on the desktop. ;-) Gnome just can't do that. And that is just
scratching the surface. :-)

But Gnome developers are going to engage soon into a similar rewrite and
redesign of Gnome, with a goal of providing equivalent functionality. When KDE
devs did that and Fedora pushed the KDE 4.0, a lot of people got extremely
disappointed (lack of previous features, plenty of bugs, learning curve...),
and switched to Gnome. However, it is just a matter of time until this history
repeats for Gnome users, and many will switch back to KDE --- which has by
version 4.4 become a very stable, bug-free and feature-full DE, like no other
before. :-)

> I can't be the only KDE fan here. What does everybody else think?

You are not the only one. There are plenty of us using and loving KDE.

But the bottomline is --- it's a matter of habit. Everyone likes what they are
most used to. My beginner's days with Linux started with RedHat 6.2 back in
spring of 2000, and my experience of Gnome in those days can be described only
as a "miserable piece of s*** full of bugs", while KDE was a sensible and
usable DE (for those times). I stuck with KDE, and since Fedora times I
occasionally take a look at Gnome whenever a new Fedora release comes out. I
have never got used to the idea of a "simplistic" Mac-like user experience
that Gnome is targeting, and I stuck with KDE even in 4.0 days, since I knew
it was not going to look so poor for too long. ;-)

So a lot of people will tell you "Gnome does this", "KDE doesn't do that",
etc, but essentially it's all a matter of taste and developed habits.

Best, :-)
Marko