Re: Dump/Restore Errors

> SELinux attributes on a disabled system should not cause any problems.
> If an extented attribute is causeing these tools to break, then the
> tools have a bug.  Please open a bugzilla.
>
> Having to manually remove all attributes should not be necessary.

From: 	Paul Thompson <pt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: 	John Austin <ja@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 	Re: Dump/Restore Errors
Date: 	03/04/2010 07:17:19 PM
I think I deleted all the logs I generated because this had bothered me
enough that I was going to file a bugzilla on it.  Maybe what you're
noticing is subltly different from what I had happen but I remember being
surprised that no one would have remarked on it previously.

I duplicated it on systems from FC9 through 12 and could not convince
myself it was anything other than some debugging print statement
accidentally left "on" in the restore command.

I recall suspecting a selinux component to it, but when I actually traced
the error to which file was being backed up at the time, it wound up being
bogus stuff every time.  FIFO files, temporary mozilla files, etc.

I did some combination of dump -v, strace in a logged screen session and a
restore -d and strace in a logged screen session.

Hi Paul and Daniel

I have now investigated further and found the files that are causing the
problem

In each case the problem seems to be "an extra block"

File header, ino 1048703; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks

This doesn't help me much as I don't know what it really means

All the problem files but one do not seem too important to me

but /var/lib/rpm/Providename might well be !

Six are associated with kde

It is still not clear to me whether

1. the original file system has the 9 errors and dump/restore detects
them

2. the file system is correct and dump/restore incorrectly indicates an
error (and possibly corrupts the restored file system)

3. the error messages are miss-leading and nothing to do with SELinux

Do you think I should submit a bugzilla ?
Against dump/restore ?

Are there any other tests I can usefully make ?

John

fuerte ~ 3# cat error_files
extract file ./root/.mozilla/firefox/6lanhsnd.default/Cache/_CACHE_003_
File header, ino 1048703
File continuation header, ino 1048703
reading EA data for inode 1048703
File header, ino 1048703; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./root/.mozilla/firefox/6lanhsnd.default/Cache/_CACHE_003_)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/lib/rpm/Providename
File header, ino 1327114
File continuation header, ino 1327114
File continuation header, ino 1327114
reading EA data for inode 1327114
File header, ino 1327114; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/lib/rpm/Providename)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index
File header, ino 1376288
File continuation header, ino 1376288
File continuation header, ino 1376288
reading EA data for inode 1376288
File header, ino 1376288; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data
File header, ino 1376305
File continuation header, ino 1376305
File continuation header, ino 1376305
reading EA data for inode 1376305
File header, ino 1376305; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-root/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.updated
File header, ino 1376307
reading EA data for inode 1376307
File header, ino 1376307; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.updated)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index
File header, ino 1376347
File continuation header, ino 1376347
File continuation header, ino 1376347
reading EA data for inode 1376347
File header, ino 1376347; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data
File header, ino 1376351
File continuation header, ino 1376351
File continuation header, ino 1376351
reading EA data for inode 1376351
File header, ino 1376351; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-fred/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index
File header, ino 1630260
File continuation header, ino 1630260
File continuation header, ino 1630260
reading EA data for inode 1630260
File header, ino 1630260; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.index)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0
----------------------------------
extract file ./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data
File header, ino 1630268
File continuation header, ino 1630268
File continuation header, ino 1630268
reading EA data for inode 1630268
File header, ino 1630268; predicted 0 blocks, got 1 blocks
resync restore, skipped 1 blocks
xattr_extract(./var/tmp/kdecache-ja/kpc/kde-icon-cache.data)
error in EA block 1
magic = 0