Re: Hulu.com and 64-bit Problem?

--- On Tue, 3/2/10, Armelius Cameron <armeliusc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 March 2010 11:49:16 am
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 3/1/10, Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > On 03/01/2010 11:15 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > >   Thanks for the link.  Read
> numerous posts and
>
> > > Just use huludesktop. It will work fine with the
> 64-bit
> > > plugin. They
> > > provide a 64-bit RPM on hulu.com.
> >
> > This was suggested in the Hulu user "tech" section,
> but most of the users
> > who tried it (of the postings I read) reported that
> the display problem
> > persisted.  Many also complained of problems with
> the Huludesktop itself.
> >
> > The only "fix" that was consistently successful was
> using the 32-bit flash
> > plugin either wrapped or natively.
>
> I use Huludesktop with 64-bit flash plugin, the exact same
> plugin that is used
> on Firefox that doesn't work on hulu.com. I know this
> because the huludesktop
> has a config file .huludesktop that requires the user to
> point it to the flash
> plugin. The huludesktop works fine also. I like the website
> navigation better,
> but at least it works if I know what I am looking for.

Since I am having problems getting 32-bit Opera on my 64-bit system to recognize the 32-bit flash plugin even though everything is correctly installed and all dependencies resolved, I decided to give your suggestion a try.

The 64-bit Huludesktop app downloaded, installed and worked just fine as soon as I told it where the 64-bit flash plugin was.  As with you, it was the same plugin that DIDN'T work with Firefox or Opera.  (I find it strange that the same plugin will work in one case and not the other.)  I do need, however, to make the app's display larger:  The thumbnails are too small making navigation difficult.  (I, too, like the Hulu website better for navigation.  Faster.  More browse-able.)

Unfortunately, Huludesktop is not a "fix" for me, but a "work-around."  I mostly use Fancast.com, which streams some stuff through Hulu, for my TV/movie viewing mainly because Fancast "remembers" the position you are in the stream in case there are problems and you have to reload.  Or Firefox crashes. ;-)  However, for the few programs I watch that stream through Hulu, I can live with Huludesktop or just go to Fox or SyFy and watch them there.  Or use a 32-bit distro running in a VM.

Thanks for the input.