To F12 or not to F12

Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote (in another thread, which I am trying to
break away from):
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:55 PM, John Mellor <john.mellor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I think its all part of the insufficient testing problem that has dogged
>> F12 ever since it was released without being stabilized.  Hopefully the
>> revised F13 qa automation and fixing of blocker anaconda bugs so that
>> testers can actually install the beta can resolve some of this...
>>

> When I upgraded from F10 to F11, I had a couple of significant
> problems.  I don't recall now what they were, but they were very
> common problems whose solutions were well documented in the mailing
> lists.
>
> I have remained at F11 in part because it is working well, so I'm
> reluctant to risk screwing it up, and in part because I have gotten
> the general impression, by reading this very list, that F12 is screwed
> up in so many ways.
>
> I haven't made any effort to track that in a statistically sensible
> way.  It's just that I read so many complaints about F12 being borked
> this way and that, that I have always felt it wise not to open that
> particular can of worms.
>
> What is your take - given F12's state of fixedness *right now* am I
> better off staying with F11, or upgrading to F12?
>
> When F13 comes out, would I be able to upgrade directly from F11 to
> F13, or will I have to pass through F12 on the way?
>
> In principle, I ought to be able to copy my whole F11 installation
> into a VirtualBox virtual hard disk, then try upgrading that just to
> see if it would work.  I've actually been considering doing so,
> because I have so very many packages installed now, that if there was
> still any kind of pervasive brokenness, attempting to upgrade would
> screw the pooch but good.
>
> Thank You For Any Insight You Can Give Me,
>
> Don Quixote

Well, I might be the best person to ask, because as I see it, I have no
choice: I stopped at FC6, and I now realize that my hardware is
hopelessly obsolete and can't handle the ever-more-complex Javascript
that is a part of half the Web these days, especially the social sites
Digg.com, Propeller.com, Buzz.Yahoo.com, and, of course, the
incomparable Twitter.com. (Not to mention Examiner.com, where I write
regularly, and where I am informed that I am using a version of Firefox
that is long since obsolete, and have found that I cannot upgrade it
effectively without upgrading my OS.)

So I have to go to F12--happily, with new hardware, so that I can keep
the old setup around as a backstop. I would, of course, be pulling in
the most current versions of all the packages, and that would help. But
the main thing is that I would start relatively "clean." I also
appreciate having a live CD to work with.

Now what I really would appreciate is a place to go to learn how to use
the one thing that would allow me to use a handful of tiny Windows
freeware apps that I have acquired along the way--i.e., WINE.

Temlakos