Re: texlive 2009

--- On Tue, 3/2/10, François Patte <francois.patte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: François Patte <francois.patte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: texlive 2009
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tuesday, March 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
> Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> a écrit :

> to install texlive-2009 under

> installed fedora 12, but in any
> 2007 release.
> >>
> >> I run TL 2009 on Fedora 12. I don't use the rpms.
> They split up
> >> TeXLive in ways that don't fit my needs. Besides,
> I like having
> >> everything available so I can experiment. Disk
> space shouldn't be an
> >> issue these days, especially not for a desktop.
> >>
> >> Anyway, just download the installer:
> >> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz,
> >> unzip and run the script. Works great.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >
> > A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging
> effort for
> > TeXLive2009.  Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
> > information on how to add the TeXLive2009 repository
> and install from
> > there.
>
> I would agree with that but, I am not sure that, unless
> texlive-2009 will be a part of a fedora release, the
> installation will run smoothly.... because of the
> dependencies. I am running f10 on some machines and have no
> time to upgrade to f12 right now.
>
> Moreover I am wondering why Texlive-2009 will install on
> f10 from CTAN distribution and why you need a lot of
> "strange" dependencies under fedora?
>

> --
> François Patte
> UFR de mathématiques et informatique
> Université Paris Descartes
> 45, rue des Saints Pères
> F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
> Tél. +33 (0)1 4286 2145
> http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/~patte

Bonjour,

Why different dependencies?,  Because of packaging guidelines, Licensing issues and other details that developers and Fedora Commitees/Ambassadors/etc have come up with.

Debian packages it and debian/ubuntu users have no complaints(that I know of), As far as I know only Slackware and FreeBSD have not included TeXLive, possibly because the packages are *very large* and not small like old TeTeX.

The installation should run smoothly *if you have decent connection, not dialup*, and it JUST WORKS (TM), as I have tested it before when Fedora decided to package TeXlive for Fedora 9, so it should work as well.

Not every package out there (in TeXLive) is included, but as Matthew mentions, packages *that are not there* can be installed via yum to make it easier.

Regards,

Antonio