RE: Trying to convert a LVM partition to non-LVM

> I do the g4l project, and it can make images of LVM
> partitions to new disks,
> but this is a raw mode image using dd. Depending on what
> errors the disk is
> having, you could make a backup image or clone it to a new
> disks. If the
> errors are to high, one might need to use ddrescue.
>
> I would first try to do an image to an ftp server, and see if
> that process works.
> Then restore to a new disk.
>
> There are versions of this on Sourceforge, but the latest
> version is at
>
> ftp://amd64gcc.dyndns.org/g4l-v0.33alpha18.iso
>
> Mostly newer linux kernels, and some updates.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Actually, I was able to restore
the original functionality using the Spinrite program from grc.com
to get the disk errors out and then used dd to copy the raw LVM2 partition.

In cases where you are not using and not likely to use the neat
features of LVM, a simple partition is easier to work with.
It's just when I copied the internal ext3 file system in the
LVM Volgroup to a simple partition, I could not get it to boot.
Even after updating the grub device map, the grub.conf,  the /etc/fstab,
and even the /etc/mtab, it would complain that it could not find
the volgroup and panic the kernel.

There must be some other control file I have not yet found which
would allow me to get the system to boot as a simple partition.

Bob