RE:Emacs has very large characters

> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:10:11 -0500
> From: "Steven F. LeBrun" <steven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Emacs has very large characters

> On 02/26/2010 02:35 PM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I installed emacs from software that comes with Fedora 12, the
> > characters are so large that makes unusable. Any body know how to
> > correct it to a standard font?
> >

> Emacs, by default, should be using the system standard font unless
> otherwise specified to use a different font.  You should check your X
> resources files (~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources) and your .emacs file
> see if something is specifying the large font that you are seeing.
>

> There are a couple of ways that you can specify the font to be used
in
> emacs.
>
> One way is to set the value in your ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources
file.

>      emacs.font:  8x16
>
> Another way is to set it for an individual session of Emacs by using
> command line arguments:
>
>      emacs --font=9x15
>
> Yet another way, which is my preference, involve setting the font in
> emacs itself using emacs-lisp.  Basically what you want to do is
change
> the value of emacs variable default-frame-alist which controls how
new
> frames are created.  Again, there are several ways to do this.
>
> Method 1: Customization
>    1)  Start emacs
>    2)  Enter Cntrl-H v default-frame-alist
>    3)  Move your cursor over the underlined "customize" that is in
the
> sentence just above "Value:"
>    4)  Hit Enter
>    5)  This brings you to a customization frame where you can set
values
> in default-frame-alist.
>    6)  If the Parameter font already exists, change its value to the
> font that you want.
>    7)  Otherwise, click (using enter key) the last "INS" button.
>          7a) replace the nil on the Parameter line with font.
>          7b) replace the nil on the Value line with the name of the X
> font that you want.
>    8) Click (using the enter key) the button near the top with the
label
> "Save for future sessions".  This will add emacs-lisp code to your
> .emacs file to automatically set the font value each time you start
emacs.

> Method 2: Modifying .emacs - adding to default-frame-alist
> Add the following line to your .emacs file:
>
>      (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "9x15"))
>
> where the 9x15 is the name of the font that you want to use.
>
> Method 3: Modifying .emacs - setting default-frame-alist
> Add the following emacs-lisp code to your .emacs file, modifying as
desired:

>      (setq default-frame-alist
>        '((width                  . 80)
> [...]

Thank you so much for detail info, those are big help since I am at very
beginning of using emacs. The problem was not within emacs, I had some
other strange conditions also, it was do to the upgrading that I had
done from f11 to f12, it was suggested to me that it is best to do a
fresh installation so I did a fresh total installation and every thing
wend back to normal. Thank you again
Vinny