Re: Fedora 12 shutdown hangs (after recent kernel update)

On maanantai, 1. maaliskuuta 2010 11:00:32 JayLinux wrote:
> On doing Shutdown as Normal User, there is a quick scroll of messages
> (similar to those at login) and it then hangs with a blinking cursor
> at the top left of the screen. I noticed this after a recent update
> that included a new kernel.
>
> 2.6.31.12-174.2.22.fc12.i686.PAE
>
> Trying to shutdown through a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) after
> logging in as root also did not help. There was a blinking cursor on
> top left of the screen and the PC hung there with C-A-Del having no
> effect.
>
> Is there any place to look for possible Shutdown Error Message / logs ?
>
> Jay
>
> --
> Linux User 483705 @ http://counter.li.org/ (Linux Counter)
You can try some of the following commands when system hangs:

<Alt><SysRq><k> Kill all processes (including X) which are running on the
currently active virtual console. This key combination is know as "secure
access key" (SAK).

<Alt><SysRq><e> Send the TERM signal to all running processes except init,
asking them to exit.

<Alt><SysRq><i> Send the KILL signal to all running processes except init.
This may be more successful in killing runaway processes than the previous key
combination, but it may cause some of them to exit abnormally.

<Alt><SysRq><l> Send the KILL signal to all processes, including init. The
system will not be functional.

<Alt><SysRq><s> Run an emergency sync (cache write) on all mounted
filesystems. This can prevent data loss.

<Alt><SysRq><u> Remount all mounted filesystems as read-only. This has the
same effect as the sync combination above, but with one important benefit: if
the operation is successful, fsck won't have to check all filesystems after a
computer hardware reset.

<Alt><SysRq><r> Turn off keyboard raw mode. This can be useful when your X
session hangs. After issueing this command you may be able to use
<Ctrl><Alt><Del>.

<Alt><SysRq><b> Reboot immediately without syncing or unmounting your disks.
Your will likely end up with filesystem errors.

<Alt><SysRq><o> Shut the system off (if configured and supported).

<Alt><SysRq><p> Dump the current registers and flags to your console.

<Alt><SysRq><t> Dump a list of current tasks and their information to your
console.

<Alt><SysRq><m> Dump memory info to your console.

<Alt>SysRq><digit> The digit is '0' to '9'. Set the console log level,
controlling which kernel messages will be printed to your console. For
example, '0' will cause only emergency messages like PANICs or OOPSes
displayed on your console.

<Alt><SysRq><h> Display help. Also, any other unsupported <Alt><SysRq><key>
combination will display the same help.

These are from: http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_1.htm

Kapi