Re: Local cache / 'repo' of updates and added RPM's

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 23:32:48 +0530,

>  Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I had to re-install Fedora 10 on a home desktop PC. In regard to this:
>>
>> Is it possible to have a local cache/ "repository" of all
>> 1) Updates (Critical, Security, Bug-fixes), and
>> 2) Additional installed rpm's (that were installed through PackageKit), e.g.
>> Opera, Adobe Reader, etc.
>> so that I do not have to download all those again (800 MB + D/L)
>
> Sure. Just put the rpms of interest in a directory, run createrepo on the
> directory and set up an appropriate repo description in
> /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo for some value of *.
>
> For myself I usually mirror the relevant arch parts of updates and
> updates-testing and only put a few special things in a local repo.

In addition, there is a yum plugin that may serve the same function:

yum-plugin-local

When this plugin is installed it will automatically copy all downloaded packages to a repository on the local file system, and (re)build that repository. This means that anything you've downloaded will always exist, even if the original repo removes it (and can thus. be reinstalled/downgraded/etc.).

Have just installed it.

Jay

--
Linux User 483705 @ http://counter.li.org/ (Linux Counter)