Re: Preupgrade

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 10:02 -0500, Jim wrote:
> How safe is it to use Preupgrade from 11 > 12 ?

preupgrade from FC11 to FC12 worked for me with a few caveats.

1) I was using the nv driver in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in FC11.
   I needed to switch to the nouveau driver for FC12.

2) They changed the alsa controls in FC12.
   I had scripts that knew the names of some of the old alsa controls.
   I rather like what they did with the alsa controls in FC12.

3) I got frustrated with mplayer in FC12.

   mplayer insists upon changing the volume.
   mplayer didn't do that in FC11, at least I don't think it did.
   I couldn't figure out how to stop mplayer from doing this.
   There were notes about using a '-volume -1' option.
   The '-volume -1' option didn't work for me.

   mplayer insists upon putting a black band around full screen stuff.
   When I want full screen, I want the video image blown up.
   I don't want the black bands.
   I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the black bands.

   I finally switched from mplayer to vlc.

4) Minor annoyances in FC12.
   I keep getting a selinux error regarding gdb doing a write.
   I found a bugzilla bug for this so I am ignoring it.

   There is a new program, at least new to me,
   automatic bug reporting tool.
   It appears to want to automate bug reporting.

   What annoys me is it complains gpodder is crashing.
   I don't think gpodder is crashing; gpodder seems to work for me.
   Maybe gpodder is crashing and I don't know it.

   I am using xscreensaver.
   Somehow screensaver got added to my Startup Applications.

Outside of not knowing I had to switch from the nv driver to the
nouveau driver, I thought the preupgrade went rather smooth.

There was a note about dual booting in the preupgrade notes.
I didn't have to modify my /boot/grub/grub.conf file to boot Windows.
Because of the preupgrade notes, I expected I'd have to.

As always, I do a tar backup of all my disks before doing preupgrade.
I suggest anyone doing an upgrade, of any kind, do a full backup.

My PC is a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+, 1 meg ram.

My /boot is on my / partition, not on its own separate partition.
There were notes about making sure the /boot directory had enough space.

As my mileage varied a little, your mileage can vary too.

-Rick