Re: Emacs has very large characters

On 02/26/2010 02:35 PM, Vincent Onelli wrote:
Hello,
I installed emacs from software that comes with Fedora 12, the
characters are so large that makes unusable. Any body know how to
correct it to a standard font?

Emacs, by default, should be using the system standard font unless otherwise specified to use a different font.  You should check your X resources files (~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources) and your .emacs file to see if something is specifying the large font that you are seeing.

There are a couple of ways that you can specify the font to be used in emacs.

One way is to set the value in your ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources file.

    emacs.font:  8x16

Another way is to set it for an individual session of Emacs by using command line arguments:

    emacs --font=9x15

Yet another way, which is my preference, involve setting the font in emacs itself using emacs-lisp.  Basically what you want to do is change the value of emacs variable default-frame-alist which controls how new frames are created.  Again, there are several ways to do this.

Method 1: Customization
  1)  Start emacs
  2)  Enter Cntrl-H v default-frame-alist
  3)  Move your cursor over the underlined "customize" that is in the sentence just above "Value:"
  4)  Hit Enter
  5)  This brings you to a customization frame where you can set values in default-frame-alist.
  6)  If the Parameter font already exists, change its value to the font that you want.
  7)  Otherwise, click (using enter key) the last "INS" button.
        7a) replace the nil on the Parameter line with font.
        7b) replace the nil on the Value line with the name of the X font that you want.
  8) Click (using the enter key) the button near the top with the label "Save for future sessions".  This will add emacs-lisp code to your .emacs file to automatically set the font value each time you start emacs.

Method 2: Modifying .emacs - adding to default-frame-alist
Add the following line to your .emacs file:

    (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "9x15"))

where the 9x15 is the name of the font that you want to use.

Method 3: Modifying .emacs - setting default-frame-alist
Add the following emacs-lisp code to your .emacs file, modifying as desired:

    (setq default-frame-alist
      '((width                  . 80)
        (height                 . 40)
        (menu-bar-lines         . 1)
        (background-color       . "cornsilk")
        (foreground-color       . "navy")
        (name                   . "Emacs")
        (horizontal-scroll-bars . 1)
        (vertical-scroll-bars   . 1)
        (font . "8x16")
        ))

This is the method that I use because I like setting colors and a few other frame parameters to my liking.

For list of available fonts, look in the fonts.alias files in /usr/share/X11/fonts/*/ directories.

--
  Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "The objection to fairy stories is that they tell children there are dragons. But children have always known there are dragons. Fairy stories tell children that dragons can be killed."
     -- G.K. Chesterton