Re: Upgrading i686 vs. x86_64. Just checking !

On Saturday 27 February 2010 05:24:32 pm bruce wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am using a *fc12.x86_64 machine.  I just now upgraded several packages
> > with yum (yumex) and noticed several i686 packages being upgraded as
> > well.  Is this normal?  Are some packages I have using i686 when I
> > should have only *.86_64 on my machine?  Should I remove ALL i686
> > packages or just leave them alone?  I am not overly concerned; just
> > wondering.
>
> as far as i know.. there is no true, only x64 OS from the redhat
> tree... although i think solaris has an actual tryu 64 bit OS...
>
> the 64 bit OS linux from redhat (fedora/centos/rhel/etc.. ) comes with
> a combination if i recall...

No, this is not true in general. The presence of i686 packages on a x86_64
system depends on what you have installed, and is not mandatory.

When F12 came out, I did a clean 64bit install, and had *zero* 32bit packages.
I only tainted this with 32bit dependencies for skype, since there is no 64bit
version of it (yet). Later on I tainted it again when installing dependencies
for Wolfram Mathematica package I use.

If there weren't for closed source software which depends on 32bit libraries,
I'd be having a clean 64bit-only system.

A similar situation is probably for centos/rhel as well (although I am not
sure).

> leave them alone!!!

I agree. If you have 32bit packages on a (cleanly installed) 64bit system,
then they are there probably because something depends on them. Removing them
with yum might give you a hint what app needs them, and could break it if you
insist.

If you have upgraded to F12 from F11 or so, there might be stale 32bit
packages which are not needed anymore (like ndiswrapper, or was it
nspluginwrapper, or...?). In that case it is probably safe to remove them.

Yum is your friend. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko