Re: Why are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden ?

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 18:27 -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
>> <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > Like many good ideas, I'd say that this one has very little chance of
>> > becoming standard practice, given that each Linux app decides for itself
>> > where to put its config files
>>
>> As I told Ed, there is more than config files in .evolution and
>> .thunderbird: there is data!
> ----
> imagine that...
>
> and there is data in ~/.kde, ~/.mozilla and many other '.' directories.
> That is a long held tradition and certainly not relegated to the 2
> applications you are referring to.

Possible. Those are the ones that are causing me problems.

> the Mac user with eyes closed should be using a Mac.

This is the kind of reasoning that brings Mac's market share to around
5% worldwide, close to 10% in the US, whereas Linux, also with a *NIX
based OS, has been hovering around 1% worldwide FOR YEARS.

So, when you call TV stations to inquire why they don't support Linux,
they answer: "We support Windows because 94% of our users use it. Hey,
we even support Mas with 5%. But Linux, with 1%... Are you really
serious? Should we lose your time on irrelevant matters?"

In the end, you'll end up browsing the web with the equivalent of Lynx.

Your opinion I've heard a thousand of times.  It's really no use to
repeat it. It's a loser's definition that claims that making things
voluntarily harder for newbies is the way to go. Linux, as we know,
can't go wrong.

Thanks for your contribution, Craig! You make lots of sense.