Re: F12: Yum - network disconnects spins it's wheels.

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 05:57 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> OK, it seems that when I removed yum-fastestmirror, the problem went away.
>>> Perhaps fastestmirror is not playing nice!  I noticed that it was
>>> hard-hitting
>>> the network and perhaps reaches a bandwidth limit and causes breakage?
>>>
>>> Dunno..  I think I will stick with this for now.
>>>

>> You could try removing /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt and then enabling
>> fastestmirror again. I did that when I was troubleshooting when I found
>> the problem with Singapore.  FWIW, Singapore had been working just
>> fine.  I think there may have been undersea cable problem at the time.
>> I've not gone back to find if the problem still exists
>>
> I removed that file.
>
> For something as simple as:
> # yum clean all
> # yum update (no new updates)
>
> It had a hell of a time downloading the repo database files and
> then it went into a spin loop.  Once I removed FM, it went through,
> but slower.  With FM, it was much faster but at the expense
> of disconnects, or so it seems.
>
> I noticed that when yum disconnects, it smacked my dovecot
> imap connections as indicated in my maillog file (I was also
> watching messages log file, but nothing noted there), maybe
> its a coincidence, but what do I know!
>
> Really odd.
>
> I will forego FM for now.

yum utilizes http and/or ftp protocols.  I did look, and fastestmirror
only makes connections when the timedhosts.txt file does not exist or
(potentially) when it determines the information is out of date.  That
is, it shouldn't be doing anything unless you see "Determining fastest
mirrors" when you run yum.

FWIW, also, it seems it determines the fastestmirror from timing the
interval from when the first SYNC packet is sent to when it receives the
SYNC,ACK.  So, yes, it is essentially a ping.

I can't conceive of a situation where usage of http or ftp protocol
would interact to "smack" an imap connection.

To me, based on your observations, I'm getting the feeling you may have
a strange network problem that may be local to you or within your ISP
close to you.  As I said, I'd be dragging out wireshark.

--
Where there's a will, there's a relative.