Re: OT: ISPs: Linux's role nowadays

On 02/24/2010 10:33 PM, Marcel Rieux wrote:
Is this correct? Are there more explanations you can provide to make
the picture clearer?

Cisco has been allowed into the classroom in many high schools here in the USA. They teach you to use Cisco, and only Cisco, for all your networking needs. It's the only thing most IT people know about and the only vendor they will 'trust' all the way to their grave. Not that I agree with that. :)
Juniper is a close second.

IT people usually have very lax budgets (at least the one's I've known) and can afford to blow $5k-$10k on a single router for a small department. The most coveted excuse for using Cisco over anything else is their [Cisco's] "instant" turn around to customer support problems. They [IT] could care less about Linux because they know nothing about it.