Re: remote install process/practice

On 02/24/2010 11:26 PM, bruce wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Got a question that nees clarification. Viewed a few sites and have
> come across different approaches. So figured I'd ask here...
>
> I've got a situation where I have a number of remote servers, that
> need to be setup to install either Centos/Fedora or RHEL.
>
> All the systems have an older version of linux, but we want to bring
> them up to date, and the same OS.
>
> So, what's the best approach to accomplish this.
>
> One guy I talked to implied that you had to be at the console! I'm
> inclined to disagree...
>
> All the systems are hooked up to the network. I've got root access to
> remotely access all machines..
>
> So, thoughts/comments/pointers on this would be appreciated!!

The only fool-proof way to do this is to have console access.  That does
not necessarily mean to have to be *at* the console.

Some options:

	Fedora has pre-upgrade, which, if everything goes smoothly, will
download the necessary packages to your machine via yum, create an
anaconda boot entry, and reboot into it in order to do the installation,
and when it is done, reboot the new kernel.

	What do you do if something goes wrong?

	If you can set up the machines to have serial consoles, and connect the
serial console to a terminal server, you can telnet (or ssh) to the
terminal server and have console *access* throughout your upgrade process.

	Once again, what happens if a reboot fails?  At least having some form
of console access, you should be able to control grub?  yes?  no?  I've
not done this with grub, but I did it once quite a few years ago with
lilo....

	Some people have claimed that there is a way to do this via VNC.  I've
not tried this.

	If you need access to the CMOS setup after you start the process,
you're going to need someone with physical access to the console though....

That's my take on your problem.  I hope this is useful.  There may be
more answers, but, those are the ones I know about.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx