Re: firefox lockups after update

On 02/24/2010 04:16 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Wed, 2/24/10, Vincent Onelli<vonelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>

>>> --- On Tue, 2/23/10, vinny<vonelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> answer

>> and a

>> HP lockup

>> any longer

>> web browser,

>> web browser,

>> has the

>> reinstalled few

>>> Are you running Fedora 12 on the Dell, and Fedora 11
>>>
>> on the HP?
>>

>>>     And what are the basic hardware specs
>>>
>> on each.
>>

>>>    And did you do clean installs or upgrade
>>>
>> installs?
>>

>>>    Are you dual/multi booting?  And if so,
>>>
>> what OSes?

>> Both pc running F12 at least I thought, but since you
>> questioning it I
>> start to check and I found that the kernel on HP is
>> Fedora(2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE) I suppose that
>> means HP is
>> runnung F11 I do not remember for sure, I thing that the
>> difference is
>> that at Dell I made a clean installation and at HP I did
>> upgrade,
>> however, both were working fine up to the update.
>> Dell dimension 8300 Intel Pentium 4, 2GB of memory Has 2 HD
>> 120Gb for
>> windows XP and 350 GB for F12
>> HP zv6000 with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1.5GB of memory, use
>> dual boot on
>> single HD 80GB partitioned at 40GB each with windows XP and
>> what I
>> thought was f12.
>> I do not know how to get other hardware info, if it is
>> needed please
>> give me direction on how to get them
>>
> If you're running GNOME, here's a quick way to check install versions.
>
>     Menu:  System->About this Computer
>
> Without getting into what's installed or how it was installed on which machine, try this:  Disable SELinux or lower its protection.  I've had it cause more problems with various Fedora versions that now I disable it.  I'm not running a server, just a one user desktop, so two firewalls (router and system) and being careful has kept me uninfected since Fedora Core 3.
>
> Anyway, see if Firefox works.  If not and since it apppears that your last update "broke" firefox, do a 'yum update' on both systems, then 'yum remove firefox', and after that completes, 'yum install firefox'.  This should install any firefox dependencies.
>
> In my opinion, the easiest thing would be to do clean installs (no upgrade) of F12 on both systems from a newly downloaded, burned and checksummed DVD.  Yes, it's a pain, but it will take less time than trying to find out what's currently the problem, and fixing it.  Just back up your data, etc. before doing it.

> [...]
You can try to execute
# setenforce 0, to see if this is an SELinux issue.

If firefox works now, it was an SELinux issue.

You could try
# setsebool -P allow_execstack=1

It is probably needed, and see if fixes the issue.

Also make sure you are totally yum updated

yum -y update

Once the machine is totally updated, if it still does not work with
SELinux in enforcing mode, ping me.