Re: DNS PTR Question

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:11:28 -0800,
  "Daniel B. Thurman" <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The problem here is assigning the PTR, since
> only ONE reverse IP address is allowed.  In
> the above case, which will it be, ns1.domain.com
> or mx1.domain.com?  Discovery led to the last
> "scanned" entry, which is mx1.domain.com

Multiple ones are allowed, just expect a lot of applications not to handle
this correctly.

> Why is this a potential problem?
> + One that I can think of, is security verification
>   such as some programs do a reverse IP check to reduce
>   phishing/spamming?

Programs really shouldn't be making security decisions based on PTR records.
My experience with the PTR checks for email is that existence of a PTR
record is significantly more important than that it match the A record.

> How is this to be properly handled?
> + Separate out DNS and Sendmail services to it's
>   own machine as hinted in "example.org"?
>
> Is it possible/sensible to have DNS and Sendmail on
> the same machine?

Yes.

If you have spare IP addresses you could have them listen on different IP
addresses, even though they are on the same machine.

You could also just have one A record, and use an MX record for the name
you want to advertise for the mail server (assuming you are just talking
smtp, not IMAP or POP).