Re: Printing from Windows XP

On 02/24/2010 08:11 AM, Hiisi wrote:
> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> My printer is running on my F10 server.  In the past, my son has been
>> able to print to it with no problems from his Windows XP machine.
>>
>> Starting sometime this past weekend, when he tries to print, Windows XP
>> gets an "unknown print error" when he tries.
>>
>> Now, here's the kicker, when I log into the "owner" account on the same
>> Windows XP machine, I can print just fine....
>>
>> Does anyone know what might be causing this bizarre unwanted behaviour?
>>

> Check allowed users at CUPS configuration page (localhost:631).

Well, there is a can of worms!

If I attach remotely to the server's CUPs page (@ server:631), I can
select "Manage Printers" which brings me to a page showing me the
printers on my server.  When I look at the printer in question, I can
see buttons for:

	Print Test Page, Stop Printer, Reject Jobs, Move All Jobs, Cancel All
Jobs, Unpublish Printer, Modify Printer,  Set Printer Options, Delete
Printer, Set As Default, and Set Allowed Users.

When I select the Set Allowed Users button, I get the following WWW page:

http://::1/admin/?op=set-allowed-users&printer_name=Printer

Why does it change from server:631 to ::1?????

When I change the URL back to the CUPs Server, I see that the allowed
users list is empty, and neither the Allow These Users To Print, nor the
Prevent These Users From Printing buttons are checked....

So, no users are listed for this printer.  What can I check next?

Please remember, that prior to this weekend, this was working without
incident.  I have rebooted the Windows XP machine a number of times
without changing the perceived behavior.  Do I need to reboot the CUPs
Server?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx