Re: how to know if I'm using xterm or gnome-terminal?

On 23Feb2010 19:07, Germ�n A. Racca <german.racca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 17:06 -0500, Jake Peavy wrote:
| > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Germán A. Racca
| > <german.racca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| >         I'm running a program called IRAF to work with astronomical
| >         images, and
| >         it needs to use the graphic capabilities of an xterm, not
| >         gnome-terminal.

The Tektronix support stuff? I once had a physical terminal with that
stuff; regrettably it cooked one night:-(

| > So, I'm trying to make a very simple script to
| >         start
| >         IRAF, but first I have to know if I'm on an xterm (so it
| >         enters directly
| >         to IRAF) or a gnome-terminal (in this case the script must
| >         open an xterm
| >         before).
| >
| > This must be too easy, but I'm going to say it anyway.  Why not always
| > start xterm and run IRAF within it?
|
| Yes, I can always do that, but I want to make the script also ;-)

Have the script start the xterm:

  : ${have_xterm:=}
  [ -n "$have_xterm" ] || exec env have_xterm=1 xterm -e "$0" ${1+"$@"}

Self starts in an xterm. Untested.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Being on a Beemer and not having a wave returned by a Sportster is like
having a clipper ship's hailing not returned by an orphaned New Jersey
solid waste barge.   - OTL