RE: USB wireless that works-out-of-box?

Mattew,
Is your dad's a Dell Laptop, if so which model && number. I've been using them for years since FC1 and haven't have issues with them. If its a Dell the Wireless Intel have no issues at all if so just replaced it. If it ain't an Intel
but the Broadcom ones then you do only need the firmware for them.

Regarding USB Wireless devices never used any of them but some with the broadcom chip might have missing firmware that you'll be able to google and add to  /lib/firmware/

I never liked nsdiwrappers either && I hope you'll find something on these pages:

http://www.linux-sec.net/Wireless/Drivers/

The following one helped me a lot before with broadcom on my debian laptop:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers

Remember when looking for Wireless look at the chip manufacturer instead of the Wireless Card manufacturer.
Regards

|E|d|u|a|r|d|o| |L|a|n|d|a|v|e|r|i|

|G|N|U|-|L|i|n|u|x| |U|s|e|r| |4|3|3|5|1|2|