Re: changing GDM background image on F12

On 02/22/2010 01:45 AM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:31:10PM -0500, fred smith wrote:

>>> Oh nice.  I had looked right past that, even after reading Bill's
>>> message. :/
>>>
>>> That works fine here as well.  Whatever issue Fred's running into, I
>>> don't think it's anything that is generally or completely broken.  but
>>> it seems like he's gone the easy route and overwritten the default
>>> image, so we may not find the real cause.
>>>
>> Actually, what I did was save the original constantine.xml and edit
>> it to point to the actual image I wanted instead of the default one,
>> then saved myself a spare copy of the modified file in case some
>> future update clobbers it.
>>
>> I, too, would like to know why the normal methods didn't work, but
>> eventually frustration took hold.
>>
> I don't know why the prescribed method doesn't work. I fought with it
> for a long time last fall when I installed F12 on my eeepc. I finally
> gave up and hacked the file that defines the GDM background.
>
> If you look in /usr/share/backgrounds/constantine/default/constantine.xml,
> you'll find a series of lines that spell out the full path to the image
> file used on the login screen. Just edit it so that each line points
> instead to the file you want it to use then log off/on and you should
> be all set. (I don't think it needs a reboot--I don't really remember.)
>
> Just from paranoia, I keep "spare" copies of both the original file as
> well as my modified one, in case a GDM update were to come down the pike
> and overwrite my customized file.

I took a back-up of the xml and replaced all of the path to the new
picture, but its not coming up. I tried different pictures listed there
Appearance Preferences > Background present under
/usr/share/backgrounds/ and now these shows up. I get a blank white
background if i select a picture that is not under /usr/share/backgrounds/.

Also to note that for the time i had the edited file the
'constantine.png' was not showing up in the backgrounds [Appearance
Preferences > Background]
It seems that there is some problem with the button 'Set As Default'.
Can u please try a new background and see if the same gets reflected in
the constantine.xml.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644