Re: Fedora 12 Installation Error: Installs i686 kernel on i386 arch and ...

Thanks for your answers.  The install process did not provide me with the customization option.  As I mentioned, it ran in reduced graphics mode.  This provides less options.  I tried the "Install system with basic video driver" option, but it said I did not have enough memory and booted me out (it happened quickly before changing screens, and I did not read the whole message, though).  I did check that I met the minimum requirements for installation before beginning this process.

Also, I am a little confused.  The download media says i386 and the installer say it is downloading for i686.  I do not understand why this link you sent me says that only i686 and above are supported.  Could you please clarify this for me?

Thank you for you help,

Oran

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Markku Kolkka <markkuk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ooran dayo kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai, 22.
helmikuuta 2010):
>  Can you help me
> to understand why it loaded i686 instead of i386

i686 (Pentium Pro or later) is the minimum processor requirement
for 32-bit F12:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f12/en-US/html/sect-Release_Notes-Architecture_Specific_Notes.html#sect-Release_Notes-Architecture_Specific_Notes_686

> why it does not ask for additional installation media after
> disk 1?

You didn't ask for installation of any packages that are on the
other discs at the customization stage of installation:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f12/en-US/html/sn-package-selection.html

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka@xxxxxx