Re: Upgrade downgrades Firefox

--- On Sat, 2/20/10, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM,
> Patrick Bartek <bartek047@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I was running Firefox 3.6.? and
> >> upgrades were available today. After
> >> reboot, Firefox opened with version 3.5.8. I tried
> yum
> >> update
> >> firefox... and I apparently have the latest
> version!
> >
> > What does 'yum info Firefox' report?  What version of
> Fedora are you using?
>
> yum info firefox
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> Name       : firefox
> Arch       : x86_64
> Version    : 3.5.8
> Release    : 1.fc12
> Size       : 17 M
> Repo       : installed
> >From repo  : updates
> Summary    : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> URL        : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> License    : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> designed for
>            : standards
> compliance, performance and portability.
>
> I was formerly running 3.6.? (whichever was current). Isn't
> it amazing
> that everybody doesn't have the same problem?

3.5.8 is the latest Firefox version is the F12 repository.  If you want 3.6, which is not customized to F12, you'll have to download it from Mozilla.com and install.  Someone suggest using the Rawhide repository which contains 3.6.  Don't!!!  I did that a few Fedora versions ago, and yum installed dependencies that were incompatible with my current version.  Ended up having to completely reinstall.

I suggest that if you want 3.6, after downloading the rpm from Mozilla, that you install it using 'yum localinstall <pathtorpm>' WITHOUT the -y (yes) option to see what any dependencies, if any, yum pulls. That way you can safely decide whether to install 3.6.