Re: I just bought a new mouse. Can I use all the buttons I paid for?

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 23:46:25 -0500
Steven W. Orr wrote:

> Can someone get me jump started? Or tell me what extra info I need to share?

First, you can find out if the buttons work at all by using "xev"
and seeing if you get button events for all of them.

Second, you are in for some trouble because, as always, "they"
are in the middle of re-writing everything in the universe.

The tool you can use now to change the mouse config around if
you don't like the default is "xinput".

If you plug and unplug the mouse, or if you have a KVM switch
that has the effect of plugging and unplugging it, you'll
need to re-run the xinput commands every time you plug the
mouse back in. Doing that is one of the missing pieces
in the great xinput rewrite, but I whipped out this bit
of hackery to use till the wonderful stuff appears:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/xdbusd/xdbusd.html

Good luck.