Re: [Request] Adding the DebugInfo packages to the Mirrors

On 02/21/2010 09:02 AM, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:30:26AM +0530, Sawrub wrote:
>
>>     FTP listing of the Fedora mirrors hosted in India, is missing the
>>     debuginfo packages. I'm able to locate the same under most of the
>>     International mirrors with few of them to list picked from the mirror list
>>     hosted at [1]http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/12/ are
>>
> As you note later, yum will eventually fall back to finding a mirror
> somewhere globally, though perhaps not locally, that contains the
> debuginfo packages.  So while it may not be quite as fast for you to
> download them, they are available.
>
> Our mirrors do a fantastic job for Fedora - we couldn't handle the
> several million installed systems worldwide without them.  At the same
> time, each mirror has its own constraints on what resources they can
> provide.  A full Fedora mirror alone takes just under 1TB right now,
> which is quite a lot to keep on every mirror.  Mirrors therefore can
> be selective about what they carry, the only requirement being that
> they exclude at a whole directory level (they can't mirror only some
> files in any single directory).
>
> Historically, debuginfo hasn't been all that useful.  With abrt being
> more widely used, and people being prodded through the GUI to download
> debuginfo to submit better bug reports, debuginfo is being used quite
> a bit more than before.  But it's still a small number of downloads,
> but fairly large in disk space size, in comparison to all the other
> packages in the distro.  So, a mirror, trying to be efficient in the
> use of their disk space and download bandwidth, often will exclude the
> debuginfo packages exactly because they are large and infrequently
> requested.
>
> I'll send a note to the mirrors asking them to consider carrying
> debuginfo, but if they don't wish to, I can't make them, nor would I
> even try.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
> Fedora Mirror Wrangler

As i mentioned in the subject itself this mail was a 'Request' from my
side to the admins of the above mentioned local mirrors to add the
pakages, as its solely their wish/capacity which controls this.
Thanks Matt for the effort being put in.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644