Re: Yum update problem -

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 01:55:41AM -0600, Larry Brower wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
> > Yum update does not complete this morning. I am presented with an error
> > message:
> >
> >     --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> >     Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 from installed has depsolving problems
> >        --> Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> >     Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> >     Error: Missing Dependency: gecko-libs = 1.9.1.6 is needed by package
> >     Miro-2.5.4-1.fc12.x86_64 (installed)
> >       You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> >       You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
> >                              package-cleanup --dupes
> >                              rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
> >

> > I tried the above and:
> >
> >     [root@box6 bobg]# yum update --exclude gnome-mplayer-0.9.8-1.fc12.i686
> >

> > With the same result. Not certain the above command is correct though?
> >
> > Any suggestions welcome.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> Ive come across this on CentOS a few times and the solution usually has
> been to manually download the affected RPM's from a repo and install
> them using rpm -Uvh --nodeps
> After that things worked correctly.

Unfortunately that's not usually a good response to this problem.
--nodeps can cause serious problems if you don't understand exactly
what it implies.  The right method is one of these:

* Use 'yum update --skip-broken' to skip any breakages and update
  everything that *can* be updated.

* Use PackageKit (either the easy-to-use GUI, or 'pkcon update') which
  automatically uses the 'skip-broken' behavior.

In this particular case, unfortunately a Fedora maintainer pushed out
an update to a library which is used by a number of programs, without
making sure all the programs depending on the specific version were
also updated to match.  This broke Miro as well, and I'm very sorry
for the trouble this might cause users.

We are making progress on an automated check that would stop this from
happening in the future.  The lack of automation around this
particular process means that we have to trust maintainers to do the
right thing, and of course we're all human and make mistakes
sometimes.  I apologize for any inconveniences this causes people --
please spread the word or link to this message where needed.