Re: Internetcameras -

On 17 February 2010 12:58, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I bought a Zonet ZVC7611W "IP Camera" Newegg had on sale with the
> intention of watching an area I can't see from the window near my desk.
> They work ok with the Windows software, I can view the video images.
>
> I can access it over our wireless LAN with Firefox from this F-12
> computer and set all the configuration parameters without a problem and
> in fact did so. But I don't know how to go about viewing the pictures.
>
> Video applications such as VLC and Totem don't respond to the IP address
> assigned via dhcp at the the wireless router, 192.168.1.51. Those
> programs seem to want a file rather than an URL?

Ok, so it's an MJPEG stream that you want. If you put the IP into your
browser you will probably just get the default page for
viewing/configuring the camera which is why VLC can play it - i.e.
you're asking it to play a webpage instead of a video stream. These IP
camera home pages quite frequently use ActiveX to display the MJPEG
stream since IE can't render MJPEG directly and it's the quick cop-out
way of getting it to work for *most* users - obviously not those using
Linux though.

What you probably need is the CGI manual for the camera such that you
can access the MJPEG stream directly. I've tried looking on their
website but it's down at the moment. To give you some examples of the
kind of thing you're looking for, Axis cameras need a request like
this:

http://<ipaddress>/mjpg/video.mjpg

... and Sony cameras need...

http://<ipaddress>/image?speed=25

so you basically need to find the equivalent cgi request for your
camera. Hopefully it's documented on their website - and hopefully the
website will work again one day!

HTH, Chris.