Re: Disk usage error

>   Thanks Will,
>        I have fixed this now to automount the USB drive, which is better
> because it means the backup is made.
>   Thanks anyway,
>        Bill
>
> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 15:17 -0500, aragonx@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> >    * I did not regard and of the /media/XXXX directories as part of /
>> so
>> > missed it.
>> >
>> > So now I better fix the mounting of USB drives with /etc/fstab,
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I created a label for my backup device/partition.  Then I wrote this
>> into
>> my backup script:
>>
>> mount -L Backup /home/data/backup
>> RETURN=`mount|grep /home/data/backup|wc -l`
>> if [ $RETURN -ne 1 ]
>> then
>>     logger "Backup failed due to unmounted backup device."
>>     exit 1
>> fi

Hi Bill,

Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't want to have my backup device mounted all
the time.  So I only mount it when I need to write to it.  In that way, if
I do something stupid like run an unlimited search or delete, the backup
device will not be affected.

My next thought was to put the drive to sleep right after I unmount it.
Has anyone done that with something like:

hdparm -Y /dev/sd{x}

I'm hoping to be a little green, reduce wear on the drive (extend the
life) and protect my data all at the same time.

Is this a good or bad idea?

---
Will Y.

believed to be clean.