Re: How to move my / partition

Mikkel wrote:
>> I want to move the / partition on a (very ancient) Fedora-12 desktop
>> from one SCSI disk to another (/dev/sdb3 to /dev/sda6),
>> because the second disk is showing some signs of sickness.

>> Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
>>
> You may want to take a look at the gparted project - they have hard
> drive install documentation as well, as CD/USB/PXE boot images.
>
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livehd.php

I followed this advice, which enabled me to run the gparted Live CD
from my hard disk.
I found I had to choose the command-line interface,
as if I chose the default X interface I was asked for the root password,
which I did not know. (Pressing Return did not work.)
However, the command-line interface opened with root as user.

I copied my current / to the new partition with "cp -a".
I then added a new stanza to grub.conf with root=UUID=<new UUID>,
and made a similar change to fstab.

To my surprise, when I re-booted I found it was with the old / ,
and /etc/fstab had been re-written with the old UUID.
(/boot/grub/grub.conf still had the new UUID, but this was ignored.)

I looked at the initrd I was using,
but I saw no mention of sdb (or sda) in this.

I wonder should I edit /etc/mtab (which has the current / partition).
And if I need to re-make initrd how do I do this?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net