Re: ATI Radeon vs nVidia 3D accelleration

Gary,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:15 PM, gary artim <gartim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Don --
>
> That would be great, please report back. I have clients using borken
> system with ati hd 4770 cards. Have a
> bug started but not much action so far. Considering swapping in Nvidia
> cards so they can at least see there
> work cleanly.
>
> -- Gary

When I have something working, it wouldn't be hard to write up a HOWTO
and post it on my website.

However, while one can obtain support for the very latest cards by
checking out the very latest development code, one also has the
problem that that code is largely untested and quite likely to be
buggy.  Thus while one's card would support many methods of
accellerating 3D graphics, a few of those methods could well crash
your system.

Really the only way to tell is to build the code, then test it with
some kind of comprehensive program.  I just installed the Phoronix
Test Suite, a Linux benchmarking framework.  One of its benchmark
suites is called idquake3-games - several video games built on ID
Software's Quake 3 engine.  From what I've seen, it exercises quite a
lot of different kinds of 3D rendering techniques.

Don
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx