Re: Propigation of bug fixes

> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:47:13 -0500
> From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Propigation of bug fixes
>
> . . . .
>
> The question is one of policy, should a bug be marked CLOSED before the average
> user is FIXED? Meaning the fix is actually RELEASED.

I was curious about this one because CLOSED would naturally seem to
indicate that the user's problem is corrected; there is a VERIFIED state
that can indicate that QA has tested the fix successfully.

If you visit bugzilla.redhat.com and view a bug there, you can click on
the link for "Status".  That will lead you eventually here (look for the
small link near the top of the page):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow#CLOSED

where it looks like Fedora's definition of CLOSED lives.  The status
values are used differently by RHEL and Fedora.  There are several
possible resolutions that mean the current release will not -- or
perhaps cannot -- be fixed.  It's also possible that a bug will be
closed by reporting it upstream.

By the way, the Life Cycle of a Bug shown here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/docs/en/html/lifecycle.html

looks like the default Bugzilla workflow, which doesn't seem to match
what Red Hat and Fedora actually use.  But if I read this page, I would
agree with Bill.

Erik