Re: Firefox using google proxy WTF?

Christoph Höger wrote:
> I am using an of the shelf firefox rpm. Today the strangest thing
> happened to me: I got an google branded 404 when searching wikipedia.
> The site is definitely up and running and my network settings must be
> fine, since Konqueror and wget get the site (see attached screenshot).
>
> Obviously I only noted it, because googles proxy must have been down or
> something.

You get the same error page if you try this:
  http://www.google.com/wiki/URL_redirection

Firefox is probably thinking that en.wikipedia.org resolves
at DNS level to the IP of google.

In that case, you will get the google homepage with
  http://en.wikipedia.org

I don't know how it happened. Does it go away if you restart Firefox?
Does your ISP do some authentication using DNS hijacking?
The Firefox DNS cache appears to be polluted.

strange ipv6 effect??? 8-)

> So since when does google proxy my http traffic? And who allowed this
> behavior in a fedora rpm?

A proxy would have likely said "Google error - can't contact
en.wikipedia.org ...".

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it