Hard-Wire GDM X11 Resolution?

I have a problem with my IOGear DVI/USB KVM switch, in which it fails
to correctly emulate the connected monitor on DVI ports that aren't
selected for display.

That is, if my monitor is showing my MacBook Pro's screen, then Fedora
gets the wrong display info from the KVM.  If it is displaying Fedora,
then the Mac gets the wrong info.

In both cases it is easy to correct, but really annoying.  It means
that I can't boot both computers simultaneously, because the video on
one of them will surely get screwed up.

The problem that I have when the KVM is showing the Mac screen, is
that the X11 for the Gnome Display Manager - the Fedora graphical
login - has a much lower resolution than my LCD monitor possesses.
You know what happens when you lower the resolution on an LCD - its
get all blurry.

Logging in and then trying to set the resolution with Gnome's display
preference does not work at all.

What does work is to log in, then immediately log back out.  The new
instance of GDM that is created after logout will have the correct
resolution.

Now my question for all of you:

Is there some rational way that I can just hard-wire my X11 resolution
to a single, fixed value?  I have an LCD display, and I don't use any
other monitors.  I have no reason to ever want any resolution than the
fixed resolution of that one display.

Now and then I check IOGear's website for KVM firmware updates, but so
far they haven't released any.  Some day I'll contact their tech
support.

What is really odd is that Mac OS X has a completely *different*
problem: OS X sets the display resolution correctly even if the KVM is
showing Fedora, but the OS X login user interface will be on my
MacBook Pro's internal screen.  If my Mac boots with the KVM connected
to it and not Fedora, the login UI is correctly displayed on my
external LCD display.

To fix the Mac problem, I yank the DVI cable off the Mac, wait for the
the built-in screen to readjust itself, then plug the DVI cable back
in.  At that point the login screen will switch from the internal
screen to the external one.

Thanks!

Don Quixoet
--