Re: ATI Radeon vs nVidia 3D accelleration

This is very odd: on my F11 box at home, with the Radeon card...

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is 3D actually turned on? You can have both hardware and drivers which support
> 3D, but have xorg.conf that disables it, or something like that. You can check
> for direct rendering like this:
>
> glxinfo | grep direct
>
> If it says "yes", then all should be well. :-)

Indeed it says yes, and "glxinfo | less" shows lots of GLX extensions.

lsmod shows that the radeon and drm kernel modules are loaded, and
that the radeon module depends on the drm module.

But when I run Extreme Tuxracer, I get a message box that says:

"Your system currently is not capable of hardware accelerated 3D.
Therefore etracer cannot run."

"Usually the cause of this error is that there are no Free Software
drivers for your graphics card, please contact your graphics card
manufacturer and kindly ask them to provide Free Software support for
your card."

My card is a 1 GB "ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4870]".

Note that my driver is "radeon" and not "radeonhd".  Is the "hd-less"
radeon driver also closed-source?

If Extreme Tuxracer won't run without a Free driver, why would it do
so well with the very non-Free nvidia driver on my work box?

Thanks for your help everyone.

It's not so much that I wanna blow away the enemy at a prodigious
framerate.  I'm just starting to learn OpenGL programming, and will
someday get to the point where effective hardware accelleration makes
a real difference to the 3D software I develop.  I want to make sure
that I am set up right.

I just yum-installed the Phoronix Test Suite, but I expect it will
take a bit of time and work to figure out how to use it.

Best,

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha