Re: Turning off ipv6

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 14:10 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> >> To disable ipv6 on F12 on the next reboot just add the line
> >>
> >> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
> >>
> >> to your /etc/sysctl.conf file.
> >>
> >> To disable it right away issue the command
> >>
> >> sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
>
> > Thank you. That looks like the Right Way (tm) to do it.
>
> As a matter of interest,
> why do you prefer this to modifying ifcfg-eth?
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ,
> which was suggested earlier?
>
> Do both work, I wonder?

I prefer changing something in /etc/sysctl.conf because it's clearly
where this kind of configuration change belongs. Changing ifcfg-eth0 may
or may not work at the moment -- I'm guessing it probably does -- but
it's a kludge that depends on the functioning of a specific script which
in some future version could change.

It's a judgment call based on many years experience of messing with
systems and having the floor move under my feet :-)

poc