Re: Turning off ipv6

>> ipv6 is now compiled into the kernel so all the previous advice about
>> modprobe.conf, modprobe.d, and sysctl.conf no longer works.

>> You now have to
>> (1) add
>> ipv6.disable=1
>> to the kernel (grub1) or linux (grub2) line
>> or
>> (2) recompile the kernel without ipv6 or with ipv6 as a module

> I created /etc/modprob.d/blacklist-ckj.conf  (ckj being my initials)
> containing:
> # Blacklist additions by ckj
> # block ipv6 being loaded
> blacklist ipv6

> That worked for me with kernel 2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.PAE without the
> kernel argument in grub, so I don't believe ipv6 is compiled into the
> kernel.  I've not tested the kernel argument, but that may be preferable.

You are right. I have just installed a regular F12 kernel and ipv6 is
compiled in as a module. I may be misremembering but I remember
reading some threads where people were having problems with DNS and
ipv6 (with F10 or F11) and they were unable to blacklist ipv6 because
it was a not a module. So either Fedora backtracked on the compilation
of ipv6 or my memory sucks...

Blacklisting ipv6 may not be enough to disable it completely; ipv6 can
still be loaded with insmod/modprobe.

If you add
install ipv6 /bin/true
to the blacklist entry, it will not load at all.