Re: I never have gotten readline & .inputrc working properly.

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 14:52 -0500, William Case wrote:
> I have spent hours on this over the last couple of years.  I am
> obviously doing something fundamentally wrong -- but I can't figure out
> what it is.  I have gone over bash/readline several times as well as
> googled.  I am sure I am missing something basic.
>
> Here is my file:
>
>         # Bill's inputrc for ReadLine
>
>         # '$include' directs readline to the file
>         # with 'universal' settings.
>         # Place 'export /etc/inputrc' in .bash_profile
>
>         $include /etc/inputrc
>
>         $if mode=emacs
>
>         "\C-x\C-r": re-read-init-file
>         Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word
>         "M-C-b": backward-word
>         "\M-\C-f": forward-word
>
>         $endif
>
> I have tried M & C with and without the escape.  Nothing seems to work.
> 'Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word' seems to work unless the binding is
> coming from some other file.  None of the other bindings work in either
> gterminal or vtX.  $VISUAL = emacs.

Not really sure what's up here (not tried your file) but getting
readline bindings to play nicely can be tricky as there can be conflicts
with existing bindings (I've found in the past I needed to disable some
things to get others working etc.).

I think your M-Rubout binding isn't coming from this file - it's default
iirc - I see this in my C-h output:

backward-kill-word can be found on "\e\C-h", "\e\C-?".

This is working fine for me:

$ cat ~/.inputrc
$include /etc/inputrc
# this shadows transpose-chars in the default emacs mode
# works around the default C-s being shadowed by linux's
# C-s scroll-lock behaviour
set bell-style visible
set editing-mode emacs
set visible-stats On
set show-all-if-ambiguous On
C-t:   forward-search-history
C-f:   'realias\n'
C-h:   dump-functions
"C-xC-r": re-read-init-file

All of these seem to do what they say on the tin - I know the last one
works since if I comment/uncomment the realias line and issue CxCr it
toggles on/off.

I prefer to use the default M-f and M-b forward/back keys (even though
they are shadowed by the default gnome-terminal shortcuts - I kill those
off as soon as I move into a new account).

Regards,
Bryn.