Re: Weird DNS issue with a specific web site with Fedora 12 (Temporary failure in name resolution?)

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 18:24 +1100, Tim Long wrote:
> I recently upgraded my work computer to  Fedora 12 and I am having a
> weird DNS issue for an internal website in my organization.
>
> Performing a dig/nslookup for the web site returns a IP address but
> trying to contact via a web browser/wget/telnet fails with a DNS error
> (the actually web site and IP numbers are scrubbed)
> -----
> ~]$ nslookup www.site.com
> Server:         ###.###.###.###
> Address:        ###.###.###.####53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   www.site.com
> Address: ***.***.***.***
>
>  ~]$ telnet www.site.com 80
> telnet: www.site.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
> www.site.com: Host name lookup failure

Wild guess:  Look at your resolv.conf files.

But, with the amount of blanking out of details in your reports, they're
next to useless for anyone to diagnose anything with.  Have a look at
your message headers, if you see the same addresses as you've been
hiding, then there's no point hiding them.  Post your error reports with
the real addresses showing.

> work around that has been found is to run dnsmasq on the Fedora
> workstations.

Isn't that the kludge suggested for IPv6 problems?  (I can't remember.)
If so, look into either getting IPv6 working properly, or *completely*
disabled.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686