Fedora 12 problem with USB serial device

I am using an FTDI232RL usb-to-serial converter for a serial port on my laptop running Fedora 12.  For some reason, this is recognized, but I am unable to communicate with the device.  When I plug in the device on my desktop running Fedora 9 it works fine (I do need to add myself to a different group to have access to the usb port however (uucp vs dialout).  Here are the responses to the various commands showing that it set up properly:

[Myuser@Mycomputer ~]$  dmesg
usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usb 2-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=6001
usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-3: Product: FT232R USB UART
usb 2-3: Manufacturer: FTDI
usb 2-3: SerialNumber: A5001tpg
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
USB Serial support registered for generic
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
ftdi_sio 2-3:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
usb 2-3: Detected FT232RL
usb 2-3: Number of endpoints 2

[Myuser@Mycomputer ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

[Myuser@Mycomputer ~]$ ls -al /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw----. 1 root dialout 188, 0 2010-02-07 17:24 /dev/ttyUSB0

I am very perplexed as this is exactly the same output I see on the Fedora9 machine except the group is uucp instead of dialout.  I can reconfigure the port with the stty command, but nothing runs through the port.  I have also tried this both with selinux enabled and disabled and there is no differnce in the behavior.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-CAS