Re: Document Viewer can not open latest PDF?

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>      Hello,
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 6:06 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

>>>   Why, how would you have done it?
>> Requiring only one form? Normal, non-bureaucrat people hate filling out
>> forms, the less there is to fill out, the better! And if the forms cannot be
>> filled out by a human without software assistance, something is really,
>> really wrong! Not to mention the reliance on proprietary software, which is
>> totally inappropriate for a government office.

[...]

>   That NIH insists on using Adobe Reader is indeed disturbing. But
> then, what is the alternative to Adobe Reader, if free software
> apparently does not support the latest PDF?

PDF itself is proprietary, that is the format. It is "open" in the
sense that it is published, and freely (somewhat) licensed, but it
is not public domain. I don't know of a free alternative to PDF which
is as useful.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.