Re: Fedora 12 Installation problem

--- On Sun, 1/31/10, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10-01-31 18:51:00, Patrick Bartek
> wrote:
> > --- On Sun, 1/31/10, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > wrote:
> > > All disks always fail the built-in test here, due
> to the
> > > permanent kernel bug.  A more robust test is:
> > >
> > >     # cmp /dev/dvd /path/to/iso
> >
> > You can also verify the burn by
> >
> >    sha256sum /dev/dvd (or whatever your
> burner is designated)
> >
> > Just like you verify the ISO file.  Remember in
> Linux "everything is
> > a file."  ;-)
>
> Yes, that's why cmp works too.  It has the advantage
> of saying where
> the error is.  Also, your method still leaves two long
> strings to
> compare.

I remember at one time being able to have the checksum program compare the results to the checksum file.  Worked great when you were summing a dozen CDs, but can't seem to find the documentation on that feature right now.

Anyway, it only takes me about 15 seconds to manually do the comparison, since I checksum the ISO in a terminal, then checksum the burn in the same terminal.  The two sums are only separated by a couple lines making it easy to see any differences.