Re: help with... F9

--- On Sun, 1/31/10, Roger <arelem@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/31/2010 09:33 PM, Erik P. Olsen
> wrote:

> whatever) but I don't have time...

> question, sorry.
> >>>

> >> I would like to opt out of your collective
> "we".   I am not part of a
> >> collective, Borg or otherwise.
> >>

> >> I think you may find that as not many if any use
> Fedora 9 or earlier replies to your queries may be limited.

I used 9 until upgrading to 12 this past November.  Prior to 9, I used FC6.  I still have 9 installed as a failsafe, which will remain until replaced by my next upgrade, probably 15 with 12 relegated to failsafe.  I usually, at least for the past 4 or 5 years or so, only upgrade every 3rd release as this seems to offer an optimum balance among security, stability, support and features with minimum upgrading. (I'm a lazy, and consider procrastination a good character trait.)

I also don't upgrade hardware all that often either. (I'm lazy. Oh! I already said that.  Well, bears repeating.)  I have no pathological complusion to build a new, cutting edge system every year or so as some do.  I try to initially build one that will fulfill my requirements and is compatible with the software for 5 to 7 years with only minor hardware changes, i.e. additional hard drive, more RAM, new CPU, etc.  My current single core, 64-bit system was build in December 2006.  I've made no changes to it since other than the OS and replacing the old CRT monitor with a flat panel one.

With the two above methodologies--hardware and software, I tend to have few hardware/software problems, and end up with very stable systems.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and, of course, always KISS.