Re: 32bit support on 64bit Linux

It is also possible to install just the specific 32-bit libraries that
you need.  That's what I did when I built ZooLib for 32-bit under
64-bit Fedora.  (http://www.zoolib.org/)

If you're building a 32-bit program from source, just try to build it
before installing any 32-bit libraries.  The link will fail because it
can't find a bunch of stuff.  Try to figure out what 32-bit yum
packages satisfy just the first few complaints, then install the
packages and try again.

After a few rounds of this you'll have pretty close to just the bare
minimum of libraries needed for that one program.

If you have a binary executable, and not the source, then ry running
it.  It won't run because it can't find a bunch of libraries.  Install
the first two or three libraries that it complains about, then Lather,
Rinse, Repeat.

In general a runtime library named libfoo.so will have a yum package
called libfoo.i386 or some such, and a development library named
something like libfoo-dev.i386.  You only need the "-dev" libraries if
you're developing from source - these include the header files, that
aren't needed for runtime support.

I'll send you my bill in the mail.

Don Quixote
--