Re: Thunderbird & Okular question

On 01/31/2010 06:20 PM, users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 12:30 +0100, DB wrote:

> In Thunderbird, I have set my default for pdf attachments to Okular.
> Everytime I try to open a pdf attachment, I get a dialog asking me if
> I want to save the attachment.  When I save it, I then have to go to
> the downloaded file & open it with Okular.
>
> Have I missed something in my preferences?

Probably not.  You're probably being sent the attachment with an
incorrect MIME type describing it as "just some kind of binary file,
that I can't be stuffed to identify it properly."

  i.e. application/octet-stream

As done by many broken mail clients and broken operating systems.

Try sending yourself a PDF file, and it'll probably work properly, as
your system will probably identify it correctly when it attaches the
file to the outgoing message.

Thanks, Tim,

>From the source of the "non-opening" message:
------_=_NextPart_001_01CAA0D0.4EC670B0
		filename="Wochenprogramm 01.02-07.02.10.pdf"

And from one I sent myself (which does open):

--------------000006080701040401020404

I assume there is no way to persuade TBird/Okular to play ball with the octet-stream?

Cheers

Dave