Re: Document Viewer can not open latest PDF?

     Hello,

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>   On a fully updated F12, I try to open the following link
>>
>>   http://apply07.grants.gov/apply/opportunities/packages/oppPA-10-063-
> cidADOBE-FORMS-B.pdf
>>
>>   with the default Document Viewer, and the Document Viewer opens and
>> displays instead of the document the following message:
>>
>>   "To view the full contents of this document, you need a later
>> version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade
>> to the latest version of Adobe Reader from
>> www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
>> For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html"
>
> When I open this PDF with Okular (which is contained in the kdegraphics
> package), I get this same message, but Okular tells me there are attached
> files. Clicking on that shows me that there's another PDF file embedded,
> which Okular allows me to save. That embedded PDF file opens just fine in
> Okular and displays a 4-page form.

  That's interesting. What purpose could be achieved by embedding a
PDF inside another like this? What is a standard PDF viewer supposed
to do with the file - simply display the embedded file or display
something else? Is it likely that this has been done intentionally to
discourage using anything other than Adobe Reader (or at least one
obeying a newer standard)?

     Take care
     Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Systems Biology Linker at Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org/sybil)