Re: Between F11 and F12, which would you choose?

F12 fixes all the problems on a ACER notebook that I have including
keyboard that I had problems on F10 (US International with ABNT2
layout).

But on a notebook with SiS chipsets (671/771) I still using F11
because the xorg version on F12 has break some graphic drivers that
depends on the old xorg architecture (maybe the major problems are
with shared vga static variables defined on xf86resources.h that was
removed). I got the SiS driver from Debian and build for F11 and need
to compile the latest stable kernel to put ACPI (hibernate and suspend
capabilities) correctly.

I still using F11 on a machine with NVidia graphic cards but I will
try to upgrade. F11 fixes many problems found on F8 on that machine
including the video resolution. On machines with Intel graphic cards
F12 is great.

Gnome 2.28 is great. Many Nautilus bugs are fixed on display of
directories in tree mode. I think that Gnome cut some old great
resources to reorganize them and put each one again in a consistent
and simpler mode in the correct time.

F12 has some problems on v4l that F11 does not have. On F12 sometimes
is necessary to download manually and build the latest v4l-dvb for
some webcams to work correctly, I think the problem is on libv4l.

I think that F12 can be better if upgrade the kernel to the latest
release to use the new ACPI functionalities, running on a greater
number of portable computers and having a functional hibernate and
suspend capabilities, and without the need to disable ACPI on
installer (that on F12 is better but the 2.6.32 or later kernels is
great). Some variables was changed with this new kernel, but this was
already ignored with xorg package.

Read the release notes to check if your architecture was marked as
obsolete on F12 or not.

Regards.

--

"I received the fundamentals of my education in school, but that was
not enough. My real education, the superstructure, the details, the
true architecture, I got out of the public library. For an
impoverished child whose family could not afford to buy books, the
library was the open door to wonder and achievement, and I can never
be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that
door and make the most of it." (from I. Asimov, 1994)