Re: help, (Fedora 8 is no longer supported)

You can search for a active F8 repository (HTTP or FTP) on NET, and
modify 'baseurl' on /etc/yum.conf, this is what I've done. I think
that livna repository has the extra support for media formats. Maybe
freshrpms too. But you will not find new updates, only the updates
that you doesn't have applied until now.
I have upgraded the machines to F11 and F12.
Read the docs about the deprecated :( architectures on Fedora, like
Geode family, between others. This is what generates possible problems
with upgrade.

Regards.

On Thursday, January 28, 2010, Michal <michal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> perhaps his system won't allow him to run anything later than FC8.
>> Perhaps his system is running an Intel Video chipset that won't come up
>> with the stupid new Intel video drivers and Xorg (I know from experience
>> as I have a system that is in that *exact* state and no amount of google
>> searching has been able to offer a solution (and I'm talking hours and
>> days of searching)).
>>
>> Essentially, my point being that answering that FC8 is no longer
>> supported doesn't address the problem.  Granted, the original subject
>> line was lacking but telling somebody to update to later Fedora versions
>> is not an answer that can be achieved in some cases.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> KM
>
> Considering they asked "how do I install media players", it would be
> safe to make an assumption that they are not very technical. Could be
> wrong, but it's safe to make that assumption
> --

Allann J. O. Silva

"I received the fundamentals of my education in school, but that was
not enough. My real education, the superstructure, the details, the
true architecture, I got out of the public library. For an
impoverished child whose family could not afford to buy books, the
library was the open door to wonder and achievement, and I can never
be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that
door and make the most of it." (from I. Asimov, 1994)